[Tutor] Advice Please

David bouncingcats at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 23:18:49 EDT 2020

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 at 06:11, John Weller <john at johnweller.co.uk> wrote:

[...]  I am new to Python but not programming.  [...] In the languages I am
> used to I would pass the parameters to the function by reference [...] My
> question is – what do you recommend?

Hi John,

In addition to the other replies, I strongly recommend you
watch "Facts and Myths about Python names and values" [1],
a presentation given at PyCon 2015 by Ned Batchelder, a
very well regarded educator in the Python community.

You can also search youtube for other presentations by Ned
or Raymond Hettinger, they will greatly improve your Python
insight beyond what you will find in the books and written
documentation.

Python is a beautiful language, but some of that beauty
requires insights to appreciate, and the official docs don't
do a great job of providing that in my experience.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AEJHKGk9ns