[Tutor] moving a virtual environment to a new machine

Anil Felipe Duggirala anilduggirala at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 20 13:37:16 EDT 2020

hello,

When I am moving to a new machine, and I have python projects that are
working with particular virtual environments. What is the best practice
to recreate these virtual environments in the new machine. Assume, for
example, that I will be working on the same operating system on the new
machine.

I have tried just copying the venv folders to a usb pendrive, but there
appear to always be symlinks or some kind of links that are not easily
copied (they may be in a system folder).

Will simply creating a new environment (in the new machine) an pip
installing the required packages create a "practically identical"
virtual environment? does git serve any purpose in achieving this?

thank you,