[Tutor] New to Linux, trying to install python 3 - please help :)

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Thu Jul 9 10:26:45 EDT 2020

On 7/9/20 8:17 AM, Mats Wichmann wrote:
> On 7/9/20 6:37 AM, mdrotts via Tutor wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm a total noobie to Linux and want to install Python 3 (3.8.3) on a Linux Mint (previously used on Windows 10 machine).
>> Pulling up Terminal and following the instructions from Readme
>>

>> Build Instructions
>
> Don't.

to be clear: there's absolutely nothing wrong with building your own
Pythons from source, but if you're new to Linux, you have lots of other
things to think about, and you should just use the versions that your
distribution has packaged for you - they have years of experience at
getting that right.  Trying to build can come later, if you find a need.