[Tutor] Imports (Py 3)

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Mon Jan 13 16:59:42 EST 2020

On 2020-01-13 06:49, Mats Wichmann wrote:
> On 1/13/20 6:33 AM, S D wrote:
>> I have a folder `abc_app`, which contains a module `utils`. In the
>> `abc_app` folder, I also have a subfolder `tests` which contains a
>> module
>> `test_api`
>>
>> How do I import a function from the `utils` module from the `test_api`
>> module?
>
> "relative imports".  which can be vaguely confusing, it's worth
> reading a tutorial on them to be sure you understand.
>
> if "foo" is in "utils", what you described ought to look like:
>
> from ..utils import foo
>
> (unless I managed to confuse myself!)

This is a problem with which I also have struggled and was never able to
get the (..) syntax of relative imports to work so I solved it another
way placing the following code at the top of the file containing the
tests:

path2add = os.path.expandvars("${CLUB}/Utils")
sys.path.append(path2add)

If the first line confuses you just ignore it and assign the full path
name to and including your 'utils.py' file to the path2add variable.