[Tutor] FW: Python Beginner

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 10 18:26:13 EST 2020

Please always use reply All or Reply List when responding to
tutor list mail. Otherwise it only goes to the individual
not the list.

I've CCd this to the list.

On 10/02/2020 21:10, David Campbell wrote:
> Thanks
>
> Can I rephrase my question. I am learning Python via Cisco academy and they directed
> me to the Python.org website to download the required software which I did however
> the option to open a new file is not present ?

The python.exe file is the interpreter used to run your Python code.
If you run it you will get the Python interactive prompt (>>>) in
a command console but no option to edit files.

But, in your download somewhere you should find a file called
idle.bat(?)  to which you can create a shortcut (on your desktop
or menu).

IDLE is an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for building and
executing Python programs. It is a GUI (itself built in Python) with the
usual File menu options. I assume this is what your tutorial is
referring to and expecting you to use.

Do a search in File Manager  under your Python install for idle.*
You should find it somewhere there (It's a while since I used
Windows so I can't recall the details of its file type or location)

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site