[Tutor] Question on running a small Python program

DL Neil PyTutor at DancesWithMice.info
Fri Aug 14 18:53:20 EDT 2020

On 15/08/2020 02:27, eric grunfeld wrote:
> Thank you DN for getting back to me.
>
> Yes - I am taking a class that is being conducted by Google through the
> Coursera platform
>
> And appreciate you sharing this Python docs website with me. I am sure
> that it will come in handy as I continue to learn Python.

One of my (professional) concerns with some of these courses, and it is
a particular habit with Google, is to assume that everything will work
first-time. You and I both know that is not the way the world works -
well not all of the time, some of the time...

May I recommend that you read the first three (or so) 'chapters' of the
Python Tutorial - as linked from docs URL given earlier. You will likely
gain from reading much-the-same-stuff, but written from a slightly
different view-point (and it may also 'fill some gaps'!). Thereafter you
will establish your own ideas for its use, keeping in-sync with your
progress on the Coursera offering...

Meantime, addressing the 'hole' in the course material, and to help with
the particular difficulties experienced earlier, try:
https://www.scalyr.com/blog/python-stack-trace-understanding-using-debug/
(skim the first few paragraphs of 'suit-talk' and concentrate on the
'meat' of how to read error messages and make sense of a "stack trace").

FYI: list-protocol is to ReplyAll/ReplyToList (so that others following
the conversation may continue to benefit) and not to top-post (appearing
to answer the question before it is asked).
--
Regards =dn