[Tutor] Parsing email headers

Jim jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Sun Apr 26 20:50:25 EDT 2020

On 4/26/20 6:59 PM, David Rock wrote:
> * Mats Wichmann <mats at wichmann.us> [2020-04-26 17:25]:
>>
>> I'm not sure you can easily do this any longer in a way that integrates
>> with Thunderbird... waiting for a barrage of comments to "use Mutt
>> instead", etc.  After Mozilla changed the way plugins are authorized to
>
> Use mutt instead  :-)
>
> But more seriously, even mutt doesn't magically fix much for you.  It
> does mail reading exceptionally well, but it does NOT do filtering.
> You'd still have to write something to interface with through the
> interface.
> The main benefit you get from a terminal-based email client is it
> doesn't inherently expose you "accidental opens" the way a GUI program
> does (most exposures expect an environment in which to run; mutt, pine,
> elm, etc don't provide that environment).

No environment, no problem. I hadn't thought of that. I never use html
mail so maybe thats an option. I haven't used a terminal email client
since I stopped using OS/2. I think it was called alpine.

> It sounds like what you are really looking for is pre-filter to
> run through your mail first.  It would probably be a better option to
> look into leveraging something like spamassassin. Purpose-built tools
> for evaluating spam are almost certainly going to be more robust.

No I don't think I want a filter. I'm looking for a safe way to say that
I don't think Comcast is sending me a support message using gmail.

Thanks,  Jim