[Tutor] OT (probably): How to change default tab key value to 4 spaces in GNOME Terminal?

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 15:17:39 EDT 2020

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 11:54 PM DL Neil via Tutor <tutor at python.org> wrote:

> However, the first point to understand is that in the interpreter TAB
> performs a "completion" function. Indeed (whilst this is definitely in
> 'do as I say, not as I do' territory) please recall what PEP-8 has to
> say about TABs!

Well, this is embarrassing!  I knew that if I was at the shell prompt
(not in the Python interpreter) that <tab> did completion.  And I knew
that if I was in the interpreter in IDLE that <tab> did completion.
But for whatever reason it never occurred to me that it did the same
if I ran the interpreter from the shell!  Now, considering other
things I have just learned from the other replies, I am going to have
to think carefully about things and what I want my shell and
interpreter behavior to be.

--
boB