[Tutor] Issue about pyaudiomodule

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Sat Apr 25 11:04:05 EDT 2020

On 4/24/20 8:49 PM, SuramSrisainath Reddy wrote:
> Sir,
>  I have béen trying to make a desktop assistant project,but i am grtting a
> problem regarding pyaudio module.
> Is there any substitute module for pyaudio module or tell me other ways to
> solve my problem?

Turns out a lot of people are stumbling over pyaudio these days.

The "official" pyaudio has not been updated for a long while, and there
are no wheels for Windows for 3.7 or 3.8, which means if you're on
Windows you can't install it through pip unless you've stayed on an
older Python version. I'm assuming you're on Windows (my sympathies to
you) since it should work on other platforms.

Try here: these are unofficial in the sense they're not produced by the
pyaudio project itself, but they are made carefully and will probably work.

https://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pyaudio

you'd need to manually select the correct wheel - the "cp" stands for
CPython, then the two-digit number is the Python version you have, then
the end is to select for a 32-bit (win32) or 64-bit (win_amd64) Python,
download it, and then install via

py -m pip install /path/to/pyaudiowheel

(substituting in the suitable bits of course, and assuming that you are
using the Python Launcher, which you should be if you're using the
Python distributon from python.org)

Hope this helps...