[Tutor] Python3 : Yes --- Python2 : No ?

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Sat Sep 21 08:46:12 EDT 2019

On 9/20/19 10:50 AM, Albert-Jan Roskam wrote:

> On 15 Sep 2019 09:48, Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor at python.org> wrote:
>
> On 15/09/2019 07:17, Hendrickx Marcel via Tutor wrote:
>> Link with the info =>
>>
>> https://www.python.org/doc/sunset-python-2/
>>
>> News for me...
>
> It really shouldn't be a surprise. As the link says its
> been announced several times and was always
> the intent.
>
> ==>> Some bankers pretend to be surprised:
> https://www.techrepublic.com/google-amp/article/jpmorgans-athena-has-35-million-lines-of-python-code-and-wont-be-updated-to-python-3-in-time/

There are also millions - perhaps billions - of lines of COBOL still in
use... so we should NOT pretend to be surprised they're surprised :)

Python 2 has no time bomb, it won't stop working.  The Python
development community has decided not to split their efforts any longer,
and lots of projects agree to go along, so it will become ever harder to
get "the current version" of something if you're on Py2, as it will
probably only be available for Py3.  But that doesn't cause a complete
already working project just to fails...

As one who is helping maintain a 2+3 capable code base, it's a pain; in
addition to always fighting little surprises, you leave a lot of
productivity on the table by always having to fall back to the oldest
stuff, or else try to backport (or find someone else who has backported).