[Tutor] Help on Python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 15 20:21:14 EDT 2019

You have to use reply-All or reply-List to reply to the list,
otherwise it just goes to the original sender.

On 16/10/2019 00:46, Tyson Barber wrote:
> I have tweaked the code slightly to look like this:
>
> income = (input("Please enter the income: "))

You haven't converted to int. Use the same pattern
you use in the next line.

> cost = int(input("Please enter the cost: "))
> if income >= cost :
> ?? ?? ?? ?? print (income - cost == profit)

Your print is still trying to print the boolean result of the expression

income - cost == profit

And you have not defined profit yet so this will
yield errors if it ever gets this far.

> else:
> ?? ?? income < cost :?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??

The else syntax is simply

else:
   # code here that gets executed when the preceding if fails
   # You cannot have an expression with a colon on its own.
   # That's invalid Python.

> ?? ?? ?? ?? print (cost - income == loss)

Same as above you are trying to print the boolean expression result.

You probably want to add a string here like:

print ("cost - income ==", cost-income)

Or on two lines:

loss = cost-income
print(loss)

> in the line after the else statement, it is giving me an error message
> of invalid syntax (where the red is).

This is a text only list so binary attachments get stripped out.
You need to paste the full error text into the mail message.
Starting with the line:

Traceback (most recent call last):

> It does not give me a syntax error for the other line that is similar to
> it earlier (highlighted in yellow).

I can't see the colours but expect it is that else statement
 - or more precisely the expression following it.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site