[Tutor] Hi there!

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 18 13:45:01 EST 2019

On 18/11/2019 17:37, Hamnah Baig wrote:
> Yes I'm unsure how to do all of these steps, could you please add some
> more detail?
>
>     open input.txt and output.txt files

Read about file handling in my tutorial in the files topic

http://www.alan-g.me.uk/l2p2/tutfiles.htm

The basic method looks like this:

with open(filename) as alias:
    use alias here

In your case you need two files opened so it will look like

with open("input.txt","w") as ilog:
    with open(output.txt","w") as olog:
        # your code goes here

>     read input from user (or wherever it comes from)

You can read about user input in my tutorial here:

http://www.alan-g.me.uk/l2p2/tutinput.htm

Assuming you are reading input from a user you use the input()
function (raw_input in Python v2)

variable = input(prompt)

>     write input to input.txt

The link above covers writing to files too.

You write to a file by converting the data to a string and
then using the files write() method

Something like:

ilog.write(str(mydata)+'\n')   #add newline for file

>     process input data

Only you know what you want to do here!

>     write result to output.txt

This is the same as writing the input above except you write
to olog

>     close input.txt and output.txt

The with statements automatically close the files so you
don't need to do anything extra.

Now you need to write some code and, if it doesn't work,
post it here so we can see where you are going wrong.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site