[Tutor] Looking for some direction

Marc Tompkins marc.tompkins at gmail.com
Sat May 11 19:48:12 EDT 2019

On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 12:05 PM Cranky Frankie <cranky.frankie at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2) For wxPython I'm finding a lot of the documentation is outdated.

I'm a fan of wxPython myself, for a number of reasons - it suits the way I
think, and the applications it generates look native to the platform
they're running on, as opposed to the way Java apps always seem look a
little odd whether you run them on Windows or Mac.  wxPython is a Python
wrapper around the wxWidgets library (written in C, I believe); any time
I've found the wxPython documentation lacking, the wxWidgets docs filled in
the gaps.  But the best documentation of all is the wxPython demo app; it
contains working examples - with modifiable source code - for nearly every
wxPython control, plus a few user-contributed extra controls.
which is a great place to get help.

The downsides:
 - there's no (working) WYSIWYG code generation tool - wxGlade is so bad
it's worse than nothing
 - layout is controlled by sizers in a model that might be different from
what you're used to; failure modes if/when you screw up are surprising and
nonintuitive.  (Not disastrous, just confusing.)  Make sure to include the
Layout Inspection Tool while you're codebashing, and comment it out for
production!

Welcome to Python (and wxPython, I hope) - enjoy!