[Tutor] pip issue

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Thu May 2 20:14:56 EDT 2019

On 02May2019 17:24, Anil Duggirala <anilduggirala at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>I executed the pip3 install --user -r
>contrib/requirements/requirements.txt (I actually did sudo before
>that).

Please don't use sudo for this. The notion "install" does not imply
being root.

The whole point of --user is to install packages in your personal
account without troubling with the system packages. Doing that as root
only installs the packages for root, generally a useless thing as you
shouldn't be running normal stuff as root.

Just do pip3 as yourself.

>I then interrupted the process with Ctrl-C. Now, when I execute the
>same command I get:
>Collecting aiorpcX<0.18,>=0.17.0 (from -r contrib/requirements/requirements.txt (line 5))
>  Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement aiorpcX<0.18,>=0.17.0 (from -r contrib/requirements/requirements.txt (line 5)) (from versions: )
>No matching distribution found for aiorpcX<0.18,>=0.17.0 (from -r contrib/requirements/requirements.txt (line 5))

That is odd, though I've seen this kind of complaint from pip before for
some packages.

Try this (as _yourself_, not as root):

  pip3 install --verbose --user 'aiorpcX<0.18,>=0.17.0'

For me, this just worked.

Also, the output includes the location where pip is installing stuff.
You could always just clean that area out and retry.

Also, try the --ignore-installed option and/or the --force-reinstall,
which may cause pip3 to ignore any partial/damaged install and just do
it all from scratch.

>I suspect this has something to do with me interrupting the install process, because I interrupted it precisely when it was fetching the package that it can't find now.
>Let me know if I should be asking this elsewhere.

This is a fine place to ask this question.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>