[Tutor] Encrypting shipped sqlite db in app directory

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 30 03:22:26 EDT 2019

On 29/03/2019 18:01, Ali M wrote:
> I want to encrypt my sqlite databases which are shipped with the app in
> it's directory, so that the user can't modify or use it elsewhere, and they
> will only be accessible for the app to read from, how can i do that?

It all depends on how rigorous you want to be. If you only
want to make the database difficult to use by an ordinary
user then you can do things like make it a hidden file and
apply very basic encryption using a Caesar type algorithm
or a rot 13 shift.

But if you actually want to encrypt the data in a secure
way that will deter hackers then that will require industrial
strength tools which are much more complex both in operation
and use.

You should also consider things like file ownership and
user accounts for your app, complete with separate
logins etc. It all depends on how much security you
want to achieve.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site