[Tutor] replacing a loop

johnf johnf at jfcomputer.com
Mon Jun 24 12:15:36 EDT 2019

Hi folks,

I have the following loop (actually repeated many times )

def locChoices(self):
         locDS = self.eslocation.getDataSet()
         loc_Choices=['<None>']
         locKeys=[0]
         for row in locDS:
             loc_Choices.append(row['facility'])
             locKeys.append(row['pkid'])

return loc_Choices,locKeys

where locDS is a tuple of dicts and a row is a dict.

Since I use a lot of similar loops to populate many dropdown controls I
started investigating the use of list comprehensions.  But I can't
figure out how to use them in this loop and wonder if it will improve
the performance.  The data is not very big - about a thousand rows -
give or take.

So what do you guys think?

Johnf