[Tutor] Installing Python v3 on a laptop Windows 10

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 20:20:11 EDT 2019

On 6/15/19, Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor at python.org> wrote:
> On 15/06/2019 22:23, Ken Green wrote:
>
>> I understood there is a preferable method
>> of installing Python into Windows. I pray
>> tell on how about to do it, gentlemen.
>
> It depends a bit on which python distribution you use,
> there are several.
>
> Personally for Windows I always recommend the ActiveState free
> version. It bundles several useful extra Windows tools and
> puts the docs in Windows help format for you.

The compiled HTML (python*.chm) documentation is also included in the
official PSF (python.org) distribution. It's in the "Doc" folder. The
installer should create a shortcut to it in the start menu.

The current release of Windows 10 includes a `python` command that
installs the 3.7 app bundle from the Microsoft Store. This is a simple
one-click install method that should be easy for anyone. Unfortunately
the above-mentioned python37.chm file is not included in this
distribution.