[Tutor] help

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue Feb 5 09:15:35 EST 2019

Sonia Miglani wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> I am learning puthon and trying the following code.
>
> But getting the following error.
>
> Please help me in knowing the code in better way.
>

> OS Linux
> Python version 2.7.13
>

> def  demo(s, exclaim):
> #    """
>  #   Returns the string 's' repeated 3 times.
>   #  If exclaim is true, add exclamation marks.
>

>     result = s + s + s
>     if exclaim:
>         result = result + '!!!'
>     return result
>

> def main():
>     print demo('Yay', False)      ## YayYayYay
>     print demo('Woo Hoo', True)   ## Woo HooWoo HooWoo Hoo!!!
>

> Error:
> ./python2.py: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `('

That is not a Python error, that's a complaint of your shell.
If you make a Python script executable you also have to insert the proper
hash-bang line. In the case of Python 2

#!/usr/bin/python2

will probably work. Example shell session:

$ cat tmp.py
def  demo():
    print "heureka"

demo()
$ ./tmp.py
./tmp.py: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `('
./tmp.py: line 1: `def  demo():'
$ cat tmp2.py
#!/usr/bin/python2

def  demo():