[Tutor] Python 3.6 update?

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Thu Oct 25 18:30:08 EDT 2018

On 10/25/2018 03:07 PM, Jim wrote:
> Mint 18.1
> Default python3 = 3.5
> Python 3.6 installed for use by a virtual environment.
>

> Update manager just informed me of an update for python 3.6 to 3.6.7-1.
> When I started to install it, I got a dialog saying:
>
> this upgrade will trigger additional changes. The following 2 packages
> will be removed  python3-dev & python3-venv.
>
> I am wondering what will happen to the virtual environment I have
> installed that uses python 3.6. Will the 2 packages be replaced and the
> virtual environment continue to work or is there some other steps I will
> need to take.
>
> Regards,  Jim

we can't tell that from here.

Not sure whose bright idea it was to package venv separately, since it's
supposed to be a "standard" part of Python 3 since 3.3 (I guess it's
"batteries included, but you still have to install the batteries" :).
But removing the package doesn't affect a created virtual environment.

What can affect a created virtual environment is how it was created -
there are a few options, some combinations of which could leave things
going missing from underneath if the Python it's created from is
upgraded.  venv has an upgrade option that might help with that.

Mint forums (and probably Ubuntu forums) could be further help...
usually somebody's been through it before.