[Tutor] pip install

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Tue Oct 16 09:57:24 EDT 2018

On 10/15/2018 04:11 PM, Roger Lea Scherer wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm trying to set up a virtual environment. I've used Windows Powershell on
> my desktop with Windows 10. I was able only to get to 2.5 minutes of a 9.75
> minute video before getting frozen, not just stuck. I was unable to
> activate the batch file even though everything appeared to be where it
> should be. I then found out about Linux Bash Shell for Windows and used
> that, I next successfully installed virtualenv, but when I went to run it
> it said command virtualenv not found but can be installed with sudo apt
> install virtualenv, which I did, then tried to run 'virtualenv pdxCrime'
> (without the apostrophes) and it errors out with
>
> command virtualenv not found, did you mean:
>
> command 'virtualenv' from deb virtualenv
>
> Try: sudo apt install <deb name>
>
> My bash shell is Ubuntu not debian. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Ubuntu, Debian, Linux Mint, and a number of others share the
characteristic that they use the "Debian Package Manager" dpkg, and the
packages themselves are colloquially called "debs". So no, it doesn't
make a difference.

> I don't understand what <deb name> is. I don't understand why virtualenv
> isn't found when it was successfully installed and every piece of
> documentation I've found tells me to use that word or command.
>
> The only reason I ask this forum is because the instructor of the video
> hasn't responded to my email yet and this seems to be related to python
> somehow although I'm a little foggy about that. If this is not the forum
> please tell me where to go (be nice).
>
> Thank you.

Try this page in the standard docs - you don't necessarily even have to
use the command named 'virtualenv':

https://docs.python.org/3/library/venv.html