[Tutor] origins bootstrapped.

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 22 19:54:14 EST 2018

On 22/11/2018 06:05, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> I don't know of any non-free (free as in beer, or free as in speech)
> implementations of Python. Can you elaborate?

There are several commercial distributions (as opposed to
implementations) of Python, that may be what Avi has in mind.
Some of these are commercial IDEs that include python as part
of an integrated bundle - I think Blackadder is one such - and
others are just uber distros like Enthought Entropy(?) which
is a "supported" distro for scientific work - rather like Anaconda.

Others are in the Movie industry where it is either tied to
a particular tool or again to a support arrangement.

The implementations are the standard open source code but
the distribution is paid for, with the value add either in
the toolset, the packaging or the support.

But maybe Avi means something different...

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site