[Tutor] Regarding "IDLE Subprocess Didn't Make Connection" Error

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Nov 17 06:17:48 EST 2018

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 03:38:28PM -0800, Break fast wrote:

> "IDLE subprocess didn't make connection. Either IDLE can't start a
> subprocess, or personal Firewall software is blocking the connection"
>
> I have been researching this issue nonstop the last two days,

Without pausing to eat or sleep? You're more dedicated than I would
be...

> and haven't had any luck in resolving the issue.

This is a common issue, there's probably a bazillion places that talk
about it:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=IDLE+subprocess+didn%27t+make+connection

Unfortunately there are many different things which could cause it (the
error message is, frankly, unhelpful). This bug report looks promising:

https://bugs.python.org/issue14576

Try making sure that the HOME environment variable exists, and is
writable.

> I am running Windows 7 (x64), and have installed Python 3.7.1 and 3.6.7
> numerous times now.

Why? Reinstalling should be the *last* resort, not first, and especially
not reinstalling over and over and over again.

--
Steve