[Tutor] Storing passwords and version control

Pat Martin wpmartin at gmail.com
Sun May 27 12:08:29 EDT 2018

Hello all,

I am writing a script that will be using an API to connect to some systems
to pull info for a search. Since it will be a script I will be running
through cron I won't be able to type the password at time of running. I
also am going to be putting this in source control, using git specifically.

The process I am currently thinking of using is having a separate file with
the username and password in it and just having that ignored by source
control. That of course doesn't solve the problem of the password sitting
in a file on the system unencrypted. Is there a better or more accepted way
to do this in python?

Thanks