[Tutor] use python to log to a remote supercomputer and transfer files

Wolfgang Maier wolfgang.maier at biologie.uni-freiburg.de
Mon May 7 11:17:43 EDT 2018

On 05/07/2018 04:15 PM, Alan Gauld via Tutor wrote:

> On 7 May 2018, at 15:08, ruiyan <r-yan14 at mails.tsinghua.edu.cn> wrote:
>
>> I want to log to the remote supercomputer automatically, upload and download files
>
> If it supports ftp then there is an ftp module.
>
> There are also http and ssh modules, depending on the complexity of your needs and the protocols available. Ftp sounds simplest in this case.

... but the question is what kind of simplification / comfort increase
you are hoping to get from a custom python script of your own compared
to what WinSCP or Putty already offer. How are they making things
"extremely annoying" for you?
You can certainly learn a lot from writing or even just trying to write
such a Python script, but in terms of functionality gain vs time
invested I doubt the endeavor is worth it.

Wolfgang