[Tutor] Turtle Issues

Roger Lea Scherer rls4jc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 13:12:59 EST 2018

I know I don't have to apologize, but I am so independent I hate asking for
help and you guys and gals have been so helpful that now that I'm stuck
again I'm sorry I have to. I've looked on StackOverflow and followed their
advice (which I can't make work) and went to the python/turtle
documentation which I tried to follow, but can't seem to make work either.

All I want to do (famous last words) is randomize the color of the pen when
the ciphers are created, but when the ciphers are created, the color
remains black. The comments below colormode are things I've tried as well.
I include all the code in case you want to run the program.

So if you could please help like you do, that would be great and greatly
appreciated. Thank you.

----------------------------

from turtle import *
import re
import random

# use turtle to draw ciphers of the Cistercian monks

digits = input("Please enter an integer less than 10,000 greater than 0:  ")

r = random.randrange(0, 255)
g = random.randrange(0, 255)
b = random.randrange(0, 255)

# ensure input is only digits
p = re.compile(r'^\d+$')
m = p.match(digits)
if m:
    print(digits)
    m = digits
#        digits = input("Please enter an integer less than 10,000 greater
than 0:  ")
else:
    print("No match")

colormode(255)
##reddish = random.randrange(255)
##greenish = random.randrange(255)
##bluish = random.randrange(255)
##pencolor(reddish, greenish, bluish)
# pencolor(random.randrange(255), random.randrange(255),
random.randrange(255))
pencolor(r, g, b)

mode("logo")   # resets turtle heading to north
speed(0)
ht()
fd(100)

# if statements for the ones position
if digits[-1] == "1":
    pu()
    goto(0, 100)
    seth(90)
    pd()
    fd(35)

if digits[-1] == "2":
    pu()
    goto(0, 65)
    seth(90)
    pd()
    fd(35)

if digits[-1] == "3":
    pu()
    goto(0, 100)
    seth(135)
    pd()
    fd(50)

if digits[-1] == "4":
    pu()
    goto(0, 65)
    seth(45)
    pd()
    fd(50)

if digits[-1] == "5":
    pu()
    goto(0, 100)
    seth(90)
    pd()
    fd(35)
    rt(135)
    fd(50)

if digits[-1] == "6":
    pu()
    goto(30, 100)
    seth(180)
    pd()
    fd(35)

if digits[-1] == "7":
    pu()
    goto(0, 100)
    seth(90)
    pd()
    fd(35)
    rt(90)
    fd(35)

if digits[-1] == "8":
    pu()
    goto(0, 65)
    seth(90)
    pd()
    fd(35)
    lt(90)
    fd(35)

if digits[-1] == "9":
    pu()
    goto(0, 100)
    seth(90)
    pd()
    fd(35)
    rt(90)
    fd(35)
    rt(90)
    fd(35)

# if statements for the tens position
if digits[-2:-1] == "1":
    pu()
    goto(0, 100)
    seth(-90)
    pd()
    fd(35)

if digits[-2:-1] == "2":
    pu()
    goto(0, 65)
    seth(-90)
    pd()
    fd(35)

if digits[-2:-1] == "3":
    pu()
    goto(0, 100)
    seth(-135)
    pd()
    fd(50)

if digits[-2:-1] == "4":
    pu()
    goto(0, 65)
    seth(-45)
    pd()
    fd(50)

if digits[-2:-1] == "5":
    pu()
    goto(0, 100)
    seth(-90)
    pd()
    fd(35)
    lt(135)
    fd(50)

if digits[-2:-1] == "6":
    pu()
    goto(-30, 100)
    seth(180)
    pd()
    fd(35)

if digits[-2:-1] == "7":
    pu()
    goto(0, 100)
    seth(-90)
    pd()
    fd(35)
    lt(90)
    fd(35)

if digits[-2:-1] == "8":
    pu()
    goto(0, 65)
    seth(-90)
    pd()
    fd(35)
    rt(90)
    fd(35)

if digits[-2:-1] == "9":
    pu()
    goto(0, 100)
    seth(-90)
    pd()
    fd(35)
    lt(90)
    fd(35)
    lt(90)
    fd(35)

# if statments for the hundreds position
if digits[-3:-2] == "1":
    pu()
    goto(0, 0)
    seth(90)
    pd()
    fd(35)

if digits[-3:-2] == "2":
    pu()
    goto(0, 35)
    seth(90)
    pd()
    fd(35)

if digits[-3:-2] == "3":
    pu()
    goto(0, 0)
    seth(45)
    pd()
    fd(50)

if digits[-3:-2] == "4":
    pu()
    goto(0, 35)
    seth(135)
    pd()
    fd(50)

if digits[-3:-2] == "5":
    pu()
    goto(0, 0)
    seth(90)
    pd()
    fd(35)
    lt(135)
    fd(50)

if digits[-3:-2] == "6":
    pu()
    goto(30, 0)
    seth(0)
    pd()
    fd(35)

if digits[-3:-2] == "7":
    pu()
    goto(0, 0)
    seth(90)
    pd()
    fd(35)
    lt(90)
    fd(35)

if digits[-3:-2] == "8":
    pu()
    goto(0, 35)
    seth(90)
    pd()
    fd(35)
    rt(90)
    fd(35)

if digits[-3:-2] == "9":
    pu()
    goto(0, 0)
    seth(90)
    pd()
    fd(35)
    lt(90)
    fd(35)
    lt(90)
    fd(35)

# if statments for the thousands position
if digits[-4:-3] == "1":
    pu()
    goto(0, 0)
    seth(-90)