[Tutor] Iteration issues

Roger Lea Scherer rls4jc at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 18:21:13 EDT 2018

I've given up again. I've tried the python documentation, I've tried to
implement the above suggestions, I've tried the translate thing with a
table that I did not include this time because I couldn't get it to work,
I've looked at StackOverflow, Quora and another website, so many things
seem so promising, but I just can't get them to work nor figure out why
they won't. I've started from scratch again.

**********
import string

gettysburg =
open("C:/Users/Roger/Documents/GitHub/LaunchCode/gettysburg.txt", "r")

puncless = ""
for char in gettysburg:
    if char in string.punctuation:
        gettysburg.replace(char, "")
    else:
        puncless += char
print(puncless)

**********

The "puncless" part works fine, except it does not replace the punctuation
like I expect and want.

Thank you for all your help already, but I need some more if you have any.
:) Thanks.

On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 12:40 AM, Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> wrote:

> Neil Cerutti wrote:
>
> > punctuation_removal_table = str.maketrans({c: None for c in
> > string.punctuation})
>
> Alternative spellings:

> ...  == str.maketrans(dict.fromkeys(punctuation))
> ...  == str.maketrans("", "", punctuation))
> True

Roger Lea Scherer
623.255.7719