[Tutor] Using pip

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Thu Jul 5 13:28:04 EDT 2018

On 07/05/2018 11:11 AM, James Reynolds wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 12:55 PM Hlavin, Matthew (GSFC-5460)[GSFC INTERNS] <
> matthew.hlavin at nasa.gov> wrote:
>
>> I just downloaded Python to work on a project at work. I'm writing a
>> pretty simple program for data collection for an experiment. In order to
>> get the data, though I need to install PyVISA. The website for PyVISA says
>> I can install the library using the line:
>> $ pip install -U pyvisa
>> When I type this line, I get a syntax error for using the $, and when I
>> remove the $, I get a syntax error for using the word install. I even tried
>> just using the word pip and an error said 'pip' is not defined. I'm not
>> sure if I'm not using some syntax wrong, or if its a completely different
>> issue.

These days, it is suggested not to use pip as if it were a command by
itself, but as a module. This is because many systems have more than one
python version installed, and it's not clear if you'll get the version
of pip that matches the version of python you'll be using.  To make that
more simple, suggest using **at a command prompt** as others have said:

  python -m pip install -U pyvisa

rather than

  pip install -U pyvisa

If you are using Windows, even if you've added python to your PATH, pip
may not be in the path, as it lives in the scripts subdirectory of the
place python was installed.  This is another reason the "python -m pip"
way of calling may be easier to deal with.

Virtualenv instructions below are good by the way, as it's usually not a
great idea to install into "system locations" with pip. That's actually
what the "-U" in the invocation above is for - it means to not install
the new module in the system paths, but in a user-specific path.