[Tutor] Python

Bob Gailer bgailer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 14:34:49 EST 2018

On Dec 20, 2018 12:17 PM, "Mary Sauerland" <msauerland815 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to get rid of words that are less than three characters but I keep
getting errors. I tried multiple ways but keep getting errors.

Hi Mary welcome to the tutor list. We love to help. We are a few
volunteers. It is very difficult for us to be mind readers. So please give
us more information. Especially what the error is you are getting. I
presume it is what we call a trace back. It is important that you copy the
entire traceback and paste it into the email. It will also be very helpful
if you gave us a sample of the two text files and the output You're
Expecting.

> Here is my code:
>
> f1_name = "/Users/marysauerland/Documents/file1.txt"
> #the opinions
> f2_name = "/Users/marysauerland/Documents/file2.txt"
> #the constitution
>

> def read_words(words_file):
>     return [word.upper() for line in open(words_file, 'r') for word in
line.split()]

> read_words(f1_name)
> #performs the function on the file
> set1 = set(read_words(f1_name))
> #makes each word into a set and removes duplicate words
> read_words(f2_name)
> set2 = set(read_words(f2_name))
>
> count_same_words = 0
>
> for word in set1:
>     if word in set2:
>         count_same_words += 1
> #comparing the set1 (set of unique words in the opinions) with set2 (set
of unique words in the constitution) and adding 1 for each matching word
found which is just counting the words