[Tutor] Directory Structure

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Sat Sep 30 18:24:21 EDT 2017

On 30Sep2017 07:35, Chris <chris2014 at postbox.xyz> wrote:
>On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 00:23:45 +0100
>Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor at python.org> wrote:
>> If you really need it in memory there are some generic modules
>> for building tree structures in memory - you will need to
>> define the mail objects of course the modules are data neutral,
>> they just allow you to create and navigate the tree, populating
>> it with whatever objects you want.
>
>Ok, can you recommend some specific?

Maybe not, but for your needs wouldn't nested dicts do the trick? Or nested
objects?

  class MaildirInfo(object):
    def __init__(self, path):
      self.path = path
      self.subdirs = [] # array of more Maildirinfo instances
      self.other stuff here as needed ...

  top = MaildirInfo("top-maildir-path")

then do the os.walk thing and fill out the data structure.

.subdirs could also be a dict mapping named to MaildirInfo instance, depending
on your needs.

Rather than Alan's take that nobody would want to do this, as someone who has
spent much time mucking with my mail tree using many scripts I'd say: everyone
wants to do something different. The task itself is fairly simple, so roll your
own. That makes is easy to implement your own policy instead of trying to do
some kind of feature survey of stuff out there.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au> (formerly cs at zip.com.au)