[Tutor] Python programming for the absolute beginner

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 10:59:23 EDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 1:20 PM, Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor at python.org> wrote:
> On 29/09/17 08:51, Peter Collidge wrote:
>> I have borrowed the above book from my local library but I believe it was
>> written in 2010 and as a result I am having difficulty in deciding which
>> version of Python to download.
>> Can anyone help?
>
> If you want to follow the book use the version the book
> uses - probably 2.6 or something close?

I no longer have a copy of this book, but I am fairly certain it uses
an early version of Python 3.  The main problem, though, is it uses a
customized version of Pygame for its later gaming code called
Livewires, so that would have to be Python-version-compatible.  IIRC,
the author had a download site where you could get the whole package
together:  correct Python version used in book, correct Livewires
version, etc., and that this was addressed in the book (Maybe an
appendix?  Or the first get things setup chapter?  Can't remember for
sure.)

If the OP goes on to use the sequel to this book, named "More Python
Programming for the Absolute Beginner" (By a different author.),
*that* book uses straight-up Pygame, again with an early version of
Python 3.  Again, I don't think there will be any problems with the
exact version of Python 3 used as long as the version of Pygame is
compatible with the chosen Python.

--
boB