[Tutor] Help with putting numbers from highest to lowest.

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 27 16:04:50 EDT 2017

On 27/09/2017 14:10, edmundo pierre via Tutor wrote:
> Hello,
> When I used sort() to do that, but my problem is that sort() just arrange numbers from small to big, not from big to small. That is the issue I am having now. For instance:
> # The user is entering those numbers:a = 2.7b = 4.7c= 5.8d = 7.9# I will like the answer to be like this: 7.9  5.8  4.7 2.7
> #but if I use sort(), I will have that answer, but I do not want that:2.7 4.7 5.8 7.9
> Thank you!

You need reverse=True on the call to sort.

You can find this out by:-

1. Using the interactive interpreter help, e.g.

 >>> l = [2.7, 4.7, 5.8, 7.9]
 >>> help(l.sort)
Help on built-in function sort:

sort(*, key=None, reverse=False) method of builtins.list instance
     Stable sort *IN PLACE*.

None

2. clicking `index` to the top right of https://docs.python.org/3/, then
`s` then `(list method)` under `sort`.