[Tutor] Python HW question

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Sep 16 03:56:09 EDT 2017

<miknau1 at gmail.com> writes:

> I really need some Python help. I’m a beginner and have some hw for
> class:

Welcome, and congratulations on beginning to learn Python!

> Write a program that calculates longest substring of increasing
> letters in st, say st=‘Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious’.

That is *very* brief. Do you at least understand what the problem is —
that is, can you re-state the requirement and explain it to someone else
(me)?

> I have no idea where to start this problem. Any help you can provide
> will be spectacular.

* Do you know how to “write a program” with Python, and run it
  successfully? I will assume you do know that.

* Can you show a Python statement that “uses the comparison ‘<=’ to
  check if one letter is greater than another”?

* Can you show a “loop through all possible starting positions of a
  sub-string” in a larger string?

--
 \       “If you always want the latest and greatest, then you have to |
  `\          buy a new iPod at least once a year.” —Steve Jobs, MSNBC |