[Tutor] Standard module sqlite3 or APSW?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 10 04:18:41 EDT 2017

On 10/09/17 01:56, boB Stepp wrote:

> So if all of this is correct, does the documentation at
> https://rogerbinns.github.io/apsw/pysqlite.html#pysqlitediffs give an
> objective assessment of the differences between pysqlite and APSW?

I believe so.
I've never used APSW, only read a single web article on it
so I'm no expert. But for me it would only be of interest
if I was totally sure I'd never want to move my data to
anything else. And that's pretty rare since for small
data I might change to, say, a JSON file. And for
large volumes (or shared access) I'd move to a server
database like MySQL. In either case the investment in
learning a non-standard data layer is not worth it.

And of course it adds another external dependency to my
project, and I hate external dependencies!

> (1) If my database needs are simple, go with the standard library
> module, sqlite3.

Usually this is true if I'm using SQLite. If my needs
were not simple I'd probably be using MySQL or FireBird
or similar.

> (2) If I wish to use all of the latest, greatest features of SQLite3,
> and I don't care about some of its non-standard SQL implementations,
> then use APSW if SQLite3 meets my database needs and I don't
> anticipate having to upgrade to one of the big database projects.

This is very rare for me and pretty much why I don;t use APSW

> (3) If I am prototyping a database solution, anticipating
> transitioning to one of the big database projects, then use the
> standard library sqlite3 as it will make it easier to make the
> transition, due to better SQL standardization.

Again, this is usually my scenario.

> A further question.  Is APSW being maintained solely by a single
> person?  That is, is it likely to be around for years to come?

I'm not sure on that one.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site