[Tutor] intro book for python

Chris Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 15:08:51 EDT 2017

I would recommend reading the official Python tutorial [0] This
tutorial will explain the important parts of Python. It doesn’t spend
too much time explaining programming basics though.

My alternate recommendations include Think Python [1] or Automate the
Boring Stuff with Python [2].

On 1 September 2017 at 19:51, Raghunadh <raghunadhprasad at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Derek,
>
> I would start with this book
>
> hxxps://learnpythonthehardway.org
>
> Raghunadh

LPTHW is a terrible book: slow and boring, tells readers to memorize
truth tables instead of understanding them (sic!), 19% of it is
thoughtlessly teaching print() — overall, a failure at teaching people
to program. Moreover, the author wrote a nonsensical essay bashing
Python 3 [3] (debunked in [4]), and released a Python 3.6 version of
his book shortly afterwards.

[0] https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/index.html
[1] http://greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/
[2] https://automatetheboringstuff.com/