[Tutor] missing idlelib and pip

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 1 14:56:07 EDT 2017

On 01/11/17 17:57, Paul Simon wrote:

> Thank you all very much.  All is working fine now.  I had always assumed
> that Idle and pip were installed with the standard library and not have
> to be separately installed.

The Linux philosophy is that the user gets to choose so there
should be no bloatware on your system. But if you choose to
use something it should be esy to install - via the package
manager.

Many Linux distros use Python internally so the most basic
Python installation is usually present but not necessarily
the latest version, just the one needed to ru  the tools.
And IDLE is not needed for that so is usually an extra.

By contrast the Windows philosophy is the user gets everything
whether they need it or not and if the PC can't handle
that then buy a new PC. Its easy but expensive.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site