[Tutor] Looping through Dictionaries

Rafael Knuth rafael.knuth at gmail.com
Tue May 23 13:38:37 EDT 2017

I wrote a function (shopping list) which calculates the total price of
the purchase (quantity * price) as well as the stock change (stock -
quantity). I know the latter is imperfect (my function does not take
into account if items are out of stock for example, but that's my next
challenge. The function does exactly what it's supposed to do:

def shopping(quantity, price, stock):
    total = 0
    for key in quantity:
        total += quantity[key] * price[key]
        stock_update = stock[key] - quantity[key]
        print(stock_update)
    print(total)

quantity = {
    "bapple": 10,
    "banana": 20
}

price = {
    "bapple": 5,
    "banana": 3
}

stock = {
    "bapple": 20,
    "banana": 50
}

shopping(quantity, price, stock)

Now, I want to print the item next to the stock update, and I am
receiving an error message. I couldn't figure out how to fix that:

def shopping(quantity, price, stock):
    total = 0
    for key, value in quantity.items():
        total += quantity[value] * price[value]
        stock_update = stock[value] - quantity[value]
        print(key, stock_update)
    print(total)

quantity = {
    "bapple": 10,