[Tutor] Python Help

Winonah Ojanen winonah1992 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 14:14:12 EDT 2017

Hello,
I am an intern working with the Center for Computational Astrophysics
through the American Museum of Natural History as an astrophysics intern. I
am working with a galaxy simulation program called "illustris" which you
can find at illustris-project.org. I am working to download example scripts
from the website to work with merger trees and galaxy simulation through
using python with anaconda in jupiter notebook. However, I am having
trouble o the coding side with importing the example scripts through
jupiter notebook. original instructions are here:
http://www.illustris-project.org/data/docs/scripts/
I started by downloading the example scripts for the python version from
bitbucket. I have them download on my computer in a folder that is named
"illustris_python". I did the first commands through jupiter notebook and
they were successful :
$ mkdir Illustris-3
$ mkdir Illustris-3/groups_135
$ cd Illustris-3/groups_135/
I got a success message for creating the directory.
I then went to the link to download the illustris data I need:
$ wget -nd -nc -nv -e robots=off -l 1 -r -A hdf5 --content-disposition
--header="API-Key: d522db2e1b33e36d3b365cc9ac1c2c5d" "
http://www.illustris-project.org/api/Illustris-3/files/groupcat-135/?format=api
"
download successfully.
Then the next command is the have python important the example scripts
which i downloaded earlier, and named as "illustris_python":
$ python
>>> import illustris_python as il

The computer is giving me this error message:
import illustris_python as il
ModuleNotFoundError                       Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-33-ff06d24b4811> in <module>()
----> 1 import illustris_python as il

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'illustris_python'

For some reason the computer is not recognizing this as a file on my
computer. The CCA folks says this is a coding problem and not an illustris
problem. any ideas to get me past this? I may also need help getting
farther into the download process.

Thank you,
Winonah Ojanen
Astrophysics Research Intern at the American Museum of Natural History
Education/ Ojibwe Language Undergraduate at the College of Saint Scholastica