[Tutor] Probably a silly question: how to install lxml?

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 22:37:33 EDT 2017

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 1:51 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> I dunno, to me it sounds like it *didn't* work, not if it is printing
> red error messages at the end. What do they say?

lxml should install from a wheel (e.g.
lxml-3.8.0-cp36-cp36m-win_amd64.whl). There's nothing to build, so the
most likely reason for failing would be getting denied access to
modify site-packages.

> My guess is that you need Administrator privileges to install the
> packages. Or perhaps to tell pip to install as site packages in your
> home directory, but I'm not sure how to do that.

If you've installed Python for all users in the default location in
%ProgramFiles% or %ProgramFiles(x86), then you will need to use an
elevated command prompt to install to the system site-packages. A
standard user or UAC restricted administrator does not have the right
to modify this directory.

Alternatively you can install a package just for the current user with
pip's "--user" option.

You can also install packages in a virtual environment created with
the venv module, which is convenient for development.