[Tutor] Fwd: Re: program code for Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner, 3rd ed.?

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Jul 3 05:37:15 EDT 2017

On 03Jul2017 09:13, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
>Sorry,
>I still have no idea what you are trying to do and what you want help with?

I would guess that the poster has done some pip installs as root, but with
$HOME still as their personal home directory, and is now doing some pip install
stuff as themselves.

My advice would be to simply remove the .cache/pip directory.

Then in future, do your pip work from a proper login shell as whichever user.
So either as yourself, or if you become root, do an "su -" to get a root login
shell before proceeding.

Personally my practice is to mostly use pip only with virtualenvs, as myself.

Using pip as root tends to conflict with Python packages supplied by the OS
vendor/supplier; better to stay out of the way of that and work as oneself on
data the OS vendor doesn't want to own.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>