[Tutor] Using venv

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Jan 27 17:49:57 EST 2017

On 27Jan2017 15:47, jim <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
>It has been suggested to me that I should use a virtual environment
>and venv would be a good choice. I've read through PEP405 and this
>link [1].
>Though some of it seems a little confusing to me, I'm sure I can get
>it up and running. This question seems a little dumb and maybe I am
>being a little dense, but then what?
>
>Your program/script is done how do you run it? Do you always have to
>activate your venv and run it from there? I like to run Tkinter
>programs from a launcher. Would that be possible and what would the
>command look like? Lately I have been writing some Libreoffice calc
>macros and evaluating pyspread for it's macro capability. Would modules
>installed in my venv be available to the spreadsheet programs?

The mere act of using the python from inside the venv invokes a python that
runs off the venv, so all you really need to do is to contrive to execute that
python instead of the system python where you want it.

If your scripts start with something like this:

  #!/usr/bin/env python3

then you can simply contrive that "python3" is found from the virtualenv. You
might put a symlink in your personal $HOME/bin directory, or source the venv's
"activate" file from your shell's profile (this making the venv searched ahead
of the system paths), etc.

Or your launcher might simply invoke:

  $HOME/path/to/your/venv/bin/python your-tk-inter-script.py

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>