[Tutor] The benefits of a junior programmer (was: Learning Objectives?)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Feb 28 10:57:19 EST 2017

Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor at python.org> writes:

> That's the thing. I've never, in 40 years in IT, seen anyone advertise
> for a junior programmer. Just doesn't seem to happen.

Several employers in my career, including my current employer, actively
seek to fill some positions with junior programmers.

> It's a bit like having a headache and asking for a weak pain killer...

Not at all. Apart from the obvious (a junior position commands a smaller
payroll, so is easier to fit into a departmental budget), junior
programmers can only gain proper experience if someone employs them and
many employers recognise that.

There is a world of difference between lack of specific experience with
a tool, and lack of ability to learn in the right environment. A good
junior programmer will be in the former category only.

> There are places offered for programming apprenticeships, but they
> assume you are starting from scratch.

In my experience, many employers will seek programmers who have some
amount of experience but not enough to demand a senior salary. Most
projects are complex and specific enough that every new hire, regardless
of seniority, will spend a lot of time initially coming up to speed on
that project.

Junior programmers paired with senior programmers can be a powerful
force in an organisation. I encourage junior programmers to see their
fresh perspective and lower salary demand as an attractive and saleable
feature when seeking employment.

--
 \       “Firmness in decision is often merely a form of stupidity. It |
  `\        indicates an inability to think the same thing out twice.” |