[Tutor] Python-list thread: int vs. float

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 15:53:07 EST 2017

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Alex Kleider <akleider at sonic.net> wrote:
> On 2017-02-11 00:36, eryk sun wrote:
>>

>> Note that Python 3 uses the Unicode database to determine the decimal
>> value of characters, if any. It's not limited to the ASCII decimal
>> digits 0-9. For example:
>>
>>     >>> s
>>     '௧꘢୩'
>>     >>> int(s)
>>     123
>>     >>> print(*(unicodedata.name(c) for c in s), sep='\n')
>>     TAMIL DIGIT ONE
>>     VAI DIGIT TWO
>>     ORIYA DIGIT THREE
>

> ???
> alex at X301n3:~$ python3
> Python 3.4.3 (default, Nov 17 2016, 01:11:57)
> [GCC 4.8.4] on linux

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> NameError: name 's' is not defined

> What your 's' represents seems quite different to 'mine.'
> There must be something else going on.

I suspect Eryk had set a normal 's' as an identifier for the character
code sequence that produces the non-ASCII output, but forgot to show
us that step.  But I could be mistaken.

Today I am working in Windows 7, not Linux Mint.  Of course when I
attempted to copy and paste the non-ASCII sequence from Gmail into
cmd.exe I got 3 rectangular boxes on the paste line, indicating
cmd.exe could not translate those characters.  However, if I paste
them into IDLE or gvim, things are translated correctly:

Python 3.5.2 (v3.5.2:4def2a2901a5, Jun 25 2016, 22:18:55) [MSC v.1900
64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
>>> s
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 's' is not defined
>>> '௧꘢୩'
'௧꘢୩'

I think that this demonstrates that 's' is just an identifier pointing
to the non-ASCII character sequence, but that the actual characters
can be copied and pasted *if* the editor or environment you paste
those characters into is setup to translate those characters.

boB