[Tutor] Hi there, have a question for a side project in physics.....

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 25 04:45:35 EST 2017

On 25/12/17 09:08, Siddharth Sehgal wrote:

> ....physics masters student. I am trying to use the Sellmeier Equation

> I originally state them as floats. However such a process apparently  > cannot be done with "floats" like these.

It can be done just with a large error (although as a physics
grad you will know how to calculate the error I assume)

> What do i do? PLEASE NEED HELP!

There ae several ways and I guess the best will involve using
SciPy/numpy features.
But since i don't know those I'll suggest the old school way
which is to multiply your numbers up until they become integers
and take advantage of pythons big int feature. You will need
to plug all the multipliers into your formula and work out
the final multiplier - but that is just exponent arithmetic
so should be doable. Finally adjust your answer by the
calculated exponent.

As I say there will probably be better solutions in the
numpy space and hopefully someone else will tell you about
them.

> The actual equation is below screen shotted

This list does not permit non-text attachments - the server
throws them away.

Alan G.