[Tutor] When do you know you're ready to start applying for jobs?

Matthew Ngaha chigga101 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 15:30:44 EST 2017

Thank you all for replying, I really appreciate it. It's all I've been
thinking about lately and your responses have really cleared up a lot
of things for me.

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 11:37 PM, Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor at python.org> wrote:

> But there are things you can learn now that won't ever change.
> And that includes the principles of design - an aspect all too
> often ignored by people learning "programming" But you can't
> build a significant system of any kind without an underlying
> design. And you can't build big systems without understanding architecture.

Thanks Alan you gave a really profound reply and I've been digesting
it slowly but surely. Can you give me any tips on how I can improve on
this (where I quoted you). And are there any books or tutorials you
can recommend for me.

> Hopefully you see where I'm going - you never stop learning
> and you can waste a lot of time becoming an expert in things
> that will be of no use in a few years, or you can focus on
> principles that are the very basis of system design and
> construction.

Yes I see where you're going. I just need a push in the right
direction on where I can learn about the principles of system design.
Also why isn't this taught in beginner tutorials, or is it an advanced
concept?

Thanks again for your response. I remember years ago your website was
one of the 1st tutorials I read on python. Recently I needed a
refresher on the os module and I recalled you covered it extensively,
but sadly I found it's no longer on your site. It says under
construction. Any ideas of when that will be finished?

Thanks again.