[Tutor] Percentage of installations without setuptools (Was if __name__=='__main__' ...)

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 15:00:27 EDT 2017

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 6:27 PM, Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor at python.org> wrote:
> On 11/08/17 19:13, Chris Warrick wrote:
>
>> False since Python 3.4/2.7.9. ensurepip installs Python on every new
>> Python install.
>
> Sorry Chris, that's not making sense? Do you mean ensurepip
> installs setuptools on every install? How does it do that if
> I don't have the internet connected? Does it wait for
> a connection then automatically do a download?

The Windows installer defaults to running ensurepip, which bundles
wheels for pip and setuptools. They may not be the latest versions.

> How would I tell if it is installed? Where do I look and
> for what? Because its not where I thought it would be
> - (in the libs)...

On Windows, look in "Lib\site-packages". In general you can `import
pip` and check pip.__file__. You should also have pip and pip3
commands. Run `pip3 show pip` to check the location.