[Tutor] setup.py "script" vs "console_scripts" Was: if __name__=='main' vs entry points: What to teach new comers?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 9 19:32:16 EDT 2017

On 09/08/17 22:15, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 12:56:56PM +0200, Chris Warrick wrote:
>
>> While setuptools is not officially part of the stdlib,
>
> This is the critical factor. How can you use *by default* something that
> is *NOT* supplied by default?

I have to agree with Steven here. Any mature language should
ship with all the tools needed to create and distribute a
finished program. It is to Python's shame that it currently
fails that test because the recommended distribution framework
is not part of the standard language package. (and the irony
is that the tool for installing the recommended format (pip)
is in the standard library. You can download other peoples
stuff but you can't make your own in the same format.
That's bad.

I hope that this is remedied soon, but for the moment Python
is horribly at odds with itself - enough to disqualify it
from use in many organisations.

Any default solution must be available by default.
It doesn't matter how many people recommend another
solution, if it isn't there it can't be used, and
therefore, can't be the default.

Sadly there seem to be many in the Python community who
do not understand the seriousness of this limitation
in terms of Python's adoption. Because they can access
it they assume everyone can. It's not true, and the further
up the Fortune 500 tree you climb the more that is the case.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site