[Tutor] Error with sqlalchemy

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 1 10:44:13 EDT 2017

On 01/08/17 12:13, rakesh sharma wrote:

> I am getting the error
>
> TypeError: utf_8_decode() argument 1 must be string or buffer, not long

That's not too helpful out of context, can you show us more
of the error trace? Can you show us the method that generates
it? Do you have any indication about which field is generating
the error?

> at this point in the code
>
> ship_schedules = ShipSchedule.query.all()

One line out of context doesn't really help.
I'm assuming query is a class attribute in
the inherited Base class? Do you have to create
any overridden methods/attribute values to
make it work for your subclass?

I can't comment on the schemas because I don't know MySql
or Flask's ORM well enough to understand what may be happening.
But a bit more detail on the actual code triggering the
error and the error message itself would certainly not hurt.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site