[Tutor] pip says no downloads for PyMedia

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Tue Sep 13 15:17:37 EDT 2016

On 09/12/2016 07:59 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On 09/12/2016 06:06 PM, boB Stepp wrote:
>> On Sep 10, 2016 7:20 PM, "Jim Byrnes" <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> I am using python3 could that be the problem?  I looked but couldn't
>>> find
>> any info on what version of python is needed.
>>>
>> I went to pymedia.org.  The copyright at the bottom of the page is 2004.
>> The "latest" news entry is February 1, 2006.  So this looks to be from
>> the
>> Python 2 only days.
>>
>> boB
>>

> Thanks. I looked but did not dig as deep as you did.
>
> Regards,  Jim

So it looks like I need to use Python 2. On my Ubuntu 14.04 system I
have vers 2.7.6. I tried that with the below result.

jfb at Jims-1404:~$ pip install PyMedia
Collecting PyMedia
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/_vendor/requests/packages/urllib3/util/ssl_.py:318:
SNIMissingWarning: An HTTPS request has been made, but the SNI (Subject
Name Indication) extension to TLS is not available on this platform.
This may cause the server to present an incorrect TLS certificate, which
can cause validation failures. You can upgrade to a newer version of
Python to solve this. For more information, see
https://urllib3.readthedocs.org/en/latest/security.html#snimissingwarning.
   SNIMissingWarning
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/_vendor/requests/packages/urllib3/util/ssl_.py:122:
InsecurePlatformWarning: A true SSLContext object is not available. This
prevents urllib3 from configuring SSL appropriately and may cause
certain SSL connections to fail. You can upgrade to a newer version of
Python to solve this. For more information, see
https://urllib3.readthedocs.org/en/latest/security.html#insecureplatformwarning.
   InsecurePlatformWarning
   Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement PyMedia (from
versions: )
No matching distribution found for PyMedia
jfb at Jims-1404:~$

So I went to the urllib3 address listed above. It said to do

pip install urllib3[secure} to solve the problem.

So I still get the errors shown above.  What else do I need to do?

Thanks,  Jim