[Tutor] using python shell program on windows

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Fri Oct 14 12:52:31 EDT 2016

mpreisig . wrote:

> Thanks Peter.
>
> So the setup script is supposed to generate the "timesheet" script?
> Because in the source there is no such file.
>
> Then the question I guess is how to install the package. Do I run the
> setup.py script from where I downloaded it to (e.g. in the Windows
> "Downloads" folder, open a cmd-window and do "python setup.py"), or do I
> have to copy the entire folder structure into the site-packages folder of
> my python directory first?

I don't have Windows available to actually test it, but according to the
docs <https://docs.python.org/3/installing/>

invoking

python -m pip install timesheet

on the commandline should take care of the details. On my (Linux) machine
this also installed a script that I can invoke on the command line with

$ timesheet start foo bar
Started task:
Subject     foo
Title       bar
Start       2016-10-14 18:49
End
Duration    00:00
$

If that does not work on Windows there's probably a Windows user who knows
what to try instead.