[Tutor] Practice python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 8 20:00:29 EDT 2016

On 08/05/16 18:14, monikajg at netzero.net wrote:

> Can you please recommend a free web class or site that offers
> lots of coding  exercises in python,

Have you tried the Python Challenge web site?

> ... intermediate and advanced AND provides solutions.

The challenge site gets pretty advanced as you progress but
there is usually an easy(ish) and a hard solution and you
don't get shown a "correct" one - because correct doesn't
make any real sense - you just know you got the right
answer when you make it to the next level.

But it certainly helps you grow as a Python programmer
and it especially gets you familiar with the library.

> I need more practice.

Often the best practice is to do.
Just pick a real project and wade in.

> All the classes I have taken or looked at do not provide
> enough exercises (with solutions) to retain the info.

I'm always wary of "solutions". They can only ever be the
authors best attempt but there will always be other,
equally legitimate solutions. In my recent book I took
pains to make the point that the "solutions" were only
one possible way of doing it and if a reader did it
another way that was probably fine too.

I know a lot of people like exercises (and solutions)
in books and tats why I provide them, but personally
I've never done them in any programming book I've
read (and that means dozens), instead I solve my
own problems, even ones I've already solved in
other languages...

You will always learn far more from real world problem
solving than from, any artificial exercise/solution.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site